Just like tradition, Samsung has continued its flagship Galaxy S series with the launch of the dazzling Samsung Galaxy S9.
Given its high-end status, all the features that made it out with the smartphone are nothing short of superb.
However, the upgrade from its predecessor – Samsung Galaxy S8 isn’t much. Areas like display, battery and design of both devices are very much alike although the processor, OS and improved camera features makes the two phones complete contrasts.
As much as I’ll love to spill everything about the Samsung Galaxy S9 all at once, I’ll like us to first observe the smartphone’s core specs
- 4G LTE: Yes
- SIM: Hybrid dual Nano SIM
- Fingerprint Sensor: Yes (rear-mounted)
- OS: Android 8.0 Oreo OS
- Screen: 5.8-inch Super AMOLED capacitive display 1440 x 2960 pixels (570 PPI)
- Storage: 64 GB / 128 GB / 256 GB Storage
- Camera: 12 MP (f/1.5, f/2.4 aperture, dual tone dual-LED flash) and 8 MP (f/1.7 aperture) front camera
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 / Samsung Exynos 9810 SoC (Octa-core 2.7 GHz Processor) with 4 GB RAM
- Battery: 3 Ah Li-Ion battery
- Price – Check Price
Design X Display
One of Samsung Galaxy S9’s selling points is its dashing looks. Curved at its fore in the order of beauty, the rear portion also fits in this same order thanks to the Corning Gorilla Glass 5 at both ends. With polished aluminium frame before the rear’s glass, the smartphone has a comfy feel in hand. Under the glass at the top bezel, the Iris scanner is located.
Up to 1.5 m and also for 30 minutes, this edifice can survive in water. For this reason coupled with its dust resistant nature, the smartphone has been approved with IP68 certification.
The smartphone makes its appearance in a bezel-less display which also sees minimal bezels visible at the top and bottom. Heavily compacted in a 163 g size, the smartphone holds up an 8.5 mm thickness. Well, slimness isn’t one of its strong suits.
Slimness might not be one of its strong suits but largeness and finesse in display is definitely one. A 5.8-inch screen beefed up by 1440 x 2960 pixels handles the smoothness of its display. Added to that, 570 PPI pixel density further intensifies the display acuity.
Performance X Software
Asides the fact that Samsung Galaxy S9 runs on Android Oreo OS, the different forms of chipset leaves the device subject to iterations.
A version of the smartphone uses Samsung Exynos 9810 chipset while another version meant for the USA and China users has the Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 on tap.
As a result, both have different GPUs responsible for graphics. While the former utilizes the Mali-G72 MP18, the latter makes the most of Qualcomm-Adreno 630. In both system-on-chips, their varying processors have the capacity to hit the max speed of 2.7 GHz.
What’s complements this stunning engine room with regards to performance is none other than a 4 GB RAM. Storing files on the device has even been made much easier as there are three variants – 64 GB, 128 GB and 256 GB internal memory. Even with this amount of storage, a hybrid slot is available to support a MicroSD card of about 400 GB.
Here’s the fun part of this smartphone: its rear 12 MP camera has two apertures that can be interchanged at will. For a brighter feel, the f/1.5 aperture is used while the f/2.4 aperture is used for a darker exposure. All the same, a single LED flash provides illumination when the camera is used in dark conditions.
With the sole action of the frontal 8 MP shooter, selfies are of the best quality on this smartphone. It works hand in hand with the f/1.7 aperture but lacks a flash.
As expected, Quick Charge technology is on board to give lightening speed to the charge rate of the Samsung Galaxy S9 Li-Ion 3 Ah battery.
- Operating System: Android 8.0 Oreo OS
- Processor: Samsung Exynos 9810 / Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 SoC ( Octa-core 2.7 GHz CPU)
- GPU: Qualcomm Adreno 630
- Colours: Midnight Black, Coral Blue, Titanium Gray, Lilac Purple
- Dimensions: 147.7 x 68.7 x 8.5 mm
- Weight: 163 g
- RAM Storage: 4 GB RAM
- SIM Count: Hybrid Dual SIM, Dual Standby
- Display: Super AMOLED 5.8 inches display
- Resolution: 1440 x 2960 pixels
- Pixel Density: 570 PPI
- Screen-to-body Ratio: 83.6%
- Aspect Ratio: 18.5:9
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Rear Camera (primary): 12 MP with LED Flash
- Rear Camera Top Features: Autofocus, variable apertures (f/1.5 aperture and f/2.4 aperture), HDR, Panorama, Face detection
- Video Resolution: 1440p
- Front Camera (secondary): 8 MP Camera
- Front Camera Top Features: f/1.7 aperture
- Internal Storage: 64 GB / 128 GB / 256 GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes, up to 400 GB
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900MHz
- 2G CDMA 1X: No
- 3G WCDMA: 850 / 1700 / 2100MHz
- 4G LTE: Yes
Internet & Connectivity
- EDGE: Yes
- GPRS: Yes
- HSPA+: No
- CDMA EVDO: No
- 3G: Yes
- 4G: Yes, up to 1200 Mbps
- WLAN: Yes, Dual Band
- Wi-Fi and Hotspot: Yes
- Wi-Fi Direct: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes, Bluetooth 5.0
- USB Port: Yes, Type-C USB
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Music Player: Yes, mp3, WAV, FLAC, eACC+
- FM Radio: Yes
- Video Player: Yes, MPEG4, H.263, H.264, XviD
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- Navigation: Yes
- Maps: Google Maps
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Pedometer: No
- Barometer: Yes
- Heart Rate Monitor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Iris Scanner: Yes
- Samsung DeX: Samsung Desktop Experience support
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (rear-mounted)
- Voice Control: Yes, Google Voice Control
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: No
- Water resistance: Yes
- Dust Resistance: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Battery: 3 Ah battery
- Type: Non-removable Li-Ion
- Quick Charging: Yes
Samsung Galaxy S9 PRICE & AVAILABILITY
As the saying goes, good things don’t come easy, Samsung Galaxy S9 has a starting price of NGN 120,000. Its availability is in Midnight Black, Coral Blue, Titanium Gray and Lilac Purple. You can purchase the device easily using the link below:
Buy online – Check Price